7/17/12

Thirty Years Ago Today~

     Thirty years ago today, a tall, thin, handsome blonde, wearing a McDonalds paper chef hat (out of which flared these cute little horns, on either sides of his temple, caused by his sweaty hair), leaned over the front counter, while on his lunch break, and asked me to make him a strawberry sundae, with extra strawberries.  As I delivered his hard earned free sundae from working his morning shift, he smiled at me and flared his nostrils, something he did whenever he could make eye contact with me.  He would love it when we worked together and I was on front counter and he was on grill, because he would have to yell over the back counter something to the effect of "Burgers up," in order to let the front counter people know to put them in the warmer.  Of course when I when walked up to the counter he was just waiting for me to look at him; I would give the usual embarrassed half smile and roll of my eyes.
     On this day, July 17, 1982, after receiving his sundae, he asked me if I wanted to go see the new movie E.T, that had just been out only a few weeks.   I said yes, and then he asked me for my home phone number (we didn't have cell phones back then), we scrabbled to find something to write with, for some reason we couldn't find anything but a brown crown under the front counter, left over from a small box of crayons that were for Happy Meals.  I tore the bottom corner off a tray liner and wrote my number down and handed it to him.  He said he would call me when I got my shift, and give me the details of the movie and what time he would pick me up.
     We went to the movie theater near the Oxford Valley Mall.  I loved the movie, and still remember asking him if my mascara running afterwards.   Then we drove to Brothers Pizza in Langhorne, and of course I didn't want to eat in front of him, so I only ordered a Coke, and most of the time I sat with my hands under my legs as I remember that I was afraid my hands would be shaking.  He had a slice of pizza and a Mountain Dew.  We sat and talked for a long while. I really liked him, he was such a gentlemen.   It was a fun night!   What a great memory!

No comments:

Post a Comment