2/20/13

Oh the quandaries of a 48 year old woman!

I NEED a project on a budget!!!

I'm in the middle of raising the last two of my five awesome kids...it's a good time for me to do a little something for hubby and I, right?    When Momma's happy everyone is happy!   Isn't that how that saying goes?   ;p

Since I have been feeling very depressed these days my husband said I need to "get off Facebook and Pinterest," and "find a project" that I want to do for myself.  He may be sorry he said that...because I'm going to take on our bedroom as my "project."

...we've lived here nine years and haven't done a darn thing to it!  Over time our kids have given us money and Lowes gift cards to get us started...but we've often used the money and cards on groceries and home repairs.  Sound familiar?   

First I need to set up my budget, some rules and boundries.

My Budget:

I'm going try to keep it under $100.  We don't need furniture, just a make over.   I have a $50.00 gift card that I found tucked away, and I will commit to only $50.00 cash, which I will attain hopefully when my friend sells some homeschool books for me on eBay.

The Rules:  

It can't be too feminine, it needs to be something that fits the two of us...since it is "our" room.

Boundaries:  

I need to remember that family comes first, however, when I have served them, and they are taken care of, it's ok for me to be busy about my project.  I don't need to come to every "mom call."  
I will give my self till the end of April to complete this project, which is a realistic time frame.


BEFORE PICTURES:


There are not many options for where to place our bed, since the room is not all that big.  This is where the bed was put 9 years ago and it hasn't ever been moved.  I'd like to angle it between the two windows for something different.  Hubby is not real keen on the idea, but I think I'm gonna give it a try.   I need to be sure he can see the tv for watching the news at night.  I personally could live without, but whatever!   

Our room is the "catch all" room, honestly, why is that?  I remember my mom saying the same thing.  Hmmm...maybe that's just a hereditary thing, who knows.  ;)  I should have de-cluttered before taking the picture, but I thought hey then the "After" pictures will look great, since I'm working with a budget anyway!

Another angle of our room, showing the door to our master bathroom.   The bathroom is not a big room and I didn't take pictures of that since I'm not doing anything to it now; we did do a little makeover about five years ago, so I'll work with the theme (beach) that is in there, as far as colors go and then include it in the over all "After" pictures in the end.  My challenge will be to tie together our love for family, the beach, and the country side of things, like barns, fields, etc...

This angle is of the entrance to our room.   The door to the left of the entrance is my closet, which is actually quite annoying since it goes down another three feet to the left of the door and is so hard for me to get some of my cloths in and out.   Ultimately I'd like to make that door opening wider and put in a slider or bifold door, but if you look you'll see the return register at the bottom and then the Heat/AC controls, which is a bit complicated to move,  and may not fit the budget.

So now you can see what I have to work with.  I'm debating whether to paint the doors and trim?  I sort of like them the dark cherry wood, believe it or not.  We shall see.


No comments:

Post a Comment