8/30/12

My little lady bug

Stress is an interesting thing, and how it seems to affect everyone differently.  Some eat, or don't eat, some sleep or don't sleep, some slow down, some speed up, some are quiet, some are loud, some can deal and others, well, not so much.   We've run the whole gamut of emotions here in our home with five kids over the last 23 years, it has been quite the journey.  It sometimes takes years to figure out your own pattern of stress and how to deal with it, let alone try to figure out the others who live under the same room.  Just when I think I have it all figured out, I'm totally blown away.  Girls are different from the boys, boys are different from the girls, and they are all so different from each other.  It's actually a bit draining.

My fourth child whom I call my little lady bug, is having a difficult time with this public school thing.  She is such a smart girl, and very talented in many ways.   She loves clothing, and "fashion"(at least the kind we can afford, which is GW and SA) and adores the whole accessorizing concept!  I often need to remind her that not everyone thinks that way or even cares, since she is always giving her "opinion" about someones outfit, when out and about.   She has an eye for that but as crazy as it sounds she is also a nerd, she loves to read and write.   Algebra...ugh, she wishes she could get by without it, and HATES that she cannot.  She does not mind Science, History, or any other subject really, just Algebra!   How does one help someone who hates Algebra, when they dislike, ok, hate it as well.  Perhaps I am the reason she hates it, not sure.   She got off the bus yesterday and was just a mess till she got through the kitchen doors, all she could say is I HATE ALGEBRA!  I tried hard not to give her the "honey, it's a necessary evil" line, and I wasn't quite sure it was healthy to say, "there, there now" either.  I just listened, and didn't say much.  It was actually very painful...and nothing that cookies and milk could fix.  She worked through it, got a snack, changed, and went out to do the animal chores, but I knew she was still struggling.  I wish I could make this better, but I'm thinking this is one of those "they have to work it out themselves" kinda things.  

I am looking forward to this four day weekend, and even though she is scheduled to work, I am hoping she can get the much needed rest from her stress, that she needs.  I am also hoping to see that great smile of hers again.

Parenting....it's tough stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment